Ironing is a task that often needs to be done daily and if not daily, at least two or three times a week. Using your iron this often can mean that over time, the buildup of minerals and other substances in the iron can reduce its efficiency and even cause damage to fabrics. Cleaning your iron regularly, both inside and outside is therefore essential to maintain its performance and durability.
Do irons need descaling?
Yes, irons need descaling, especially steam irons. Limescale and mineral buildup can clog the steam vents, reducing the iron's efficiency and performance. This can also cause the iron to spit out brown or yellow water, which can stain clothes. Therefore, it's essential to descale your steam iron regularly.
What is the best way to clean your iron?
Cleaning your iron is a simple task that can be done with household items. Here are the steps to follow:
- Unplug the iron
- Put 125ml of product in 350ml of hot water;
- Pour the solution into the tank;
- Connect the iron and select steam;
- Empty completely and rinse well;
- Dry the plate with a cloth;
- Refill with water, connect the iron and let the steam out.
Wipe the soleplate with a clean, damp cloth to remove any residue and if necessary use a specialised iron sole plate cleaner.
If your iron has a self-cleaning function, follow the manufacturer's instructions. If not, fill the reservoir with clean water and turn the iron to the highest setting. Let it steam for a few minutes to flush out any remaining residue.Empty the water reservoir and wipe the outside of the iron with a damp cloth. Avoid getting water in the iron's electrical components.
Cleaning a steam generator iron
A steam generator iron should be cleaned regularly to ensure proper function and longevity. If left unattended, deposits can build up on the heating elements and eventually cause the iron to break down. Additionally, a dirty steam generator iron can cause skin irritation. Here are some tips for cleaning a steam generator iron:
- Unplug the iron: Before you begin to clean the steam generator iron, it is important to unplug it and allow it to cool completely.
- Empty the water reservoir and fill it with a steam iron de-scaler solution - The process helps to remove any built-up deposits and mineral build-up.
- Turn the iron on and allow it to heat up.
- Press the steam button and let the solution steam through the iron for a few minutes.
- Turn the iron off and unplug it.
- Empty the water reservoir and refill it with clean water: Since the steam generator iron is filled with heated water, it is important to empty and refill the water reservoir on a regular basis.
- Turn the iron on and let it steam for a few minutes to flush out any remaining residue.
- Empty the water reservoir and wipe the outside of the iron with a damp cloth.
Cleaning your iron is essential to maintain its performance and prolong its lifespan. Regular descaling is necessary to avoid clogging the steam vents and staining clothes. You can purchase a descaling solution specifically designed for steam generator irons or use white vinegar and water.
Moreover, avoiding harsh chemicals or abrasives is important, as they can damage the iron. Instead, use a soft cloth and mild soap. If you do experience any difficulties with your steam generator iron, be sure to consult a professional. Following these simple steps, you can keep your iron in good condition and continue using it for years.