If you're considering adding a utility room to your home, you may wonder if it's worth the investment. According to experts, a utility room can add around 5% extra value to your home and improve your quality of life. In this article, we'll explore the benefits of a utility room and discuss where to put one in your home.
Is it worth having a utility room?
A utility room is a dedicated laundry, cleaning, and storage space. It's a practical addition to any home, especially if you have a large family or have a small kitchen area. Almost any space can be converted into a utility room or area, no matter how small especially if you use a washing machine stacker. As long as the space is wide enough to accommodate a washing machine then it can work.
Benefits of a utility room:
- It keeps your home organised: A utility room provides a space to store cleaning supplies, laundry detergents, and other household items. It helps keep these items out of sight and organised, making it easier to find what you need when needed.
- It saves time: A utility room allows you to do laundry and other cleaning tasks while other tasks are happening in the kitchen. You can start a load of laundry while other family members are cooking in the kitchen.
- It adds value to your home: A utility room is desirable for many homebuyers. If you decide to sell your home in the future, a well-designed utility room can help to increase its value and appeal to potential buyers.
Where to put a utility room?
Your utility room's location will depend on your home's layout and your personal preferences. Here are some ideas for where to put a utility room:
- Near the kitchen: If you have a large kitchen, you can carve out space for a utility room nearby. This can be convenient for doing laundry while you cook or clean up after a meal.
- In the garage: If you have an attached garage, it can be a great place to put a utility room. This keeps the noise and mess of laundry out of your living spaces and provides a dedicated area for storage.
- In a spare room: If you have a downstairs bedroom or office, you don't use often, you can convert it into a utility room. This can be a cost-effective way to add a utility room to your home although it won’t add value as bedrooms are the most valuable extra room to add to your house.
A utility room is a valuable addition to any home. It provides a space to store and organise household items, keeps your kitchen clear, and adds value to your home. When considering where to put a utility room, think about the layout of your home and your personal preferences. Get creative, if you’re really short on space then you can even stack your laundry machines under the stairs or in an outdoor space like a garage. With careful planning and design, you can create a functional and stylish utility room that meets your needs.